The Electronics Engineering Department of Model Engineering College offers premier professional training with an eye on the modern developments in electronics and information technology. It offers a four year undergraduate course in electronics and communication engineering. The curriculum is designed to give adequate emphasis on application of Electronics in Communication Systems and Signal Processing and includes courses on Semiconductor Electronics, Electronic Circuits, Communication Engineering, Instrumentation, Signal Processing, Process Control, ASIC design and Industrial Management. A variety of elective courses are also offered. The Electronics Department is home to Digital Circuits, Communication, Industrial Instrumentation, Signal Processing and Microprocessor Labs. The undergraduate programme offered by the Department is one of the most sought after in the state. A syllabus encompassing the latest technologies, excellent laboratory facilities and exemplary faculty are the main reasons for the prized status accorded to this course.
The department has been recognized as a research Centre of the Cochin University of Science and Technology,. Several research scholars are carrying out high end research in various areas under the supervision of the faculty. Faculty members of the department have also been recognized as research guides under the Kerala Technological University. Faculty have expertise in multimedia signal processing, electronic device modelling, VLSI and embedded systems, microwave engineering and optoelectronics to supervise cutting edge research.
Vision of Department
To mould professionally competent electronics engineers with values and a global outlook, capable of innovations and entrepreneurial initiatives for addressing the changing needs of the world.
Mission of Department
To sustain a conducive academic environment for teaching, learning and research for grooming Electronics and Communication engineers who will apply technology for the benefit of the society.
Programme Educational Objectives
Graduates from our Department shall be able to
- update skills in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- identify and solve technical problems using Electronics and Communication engineering principles, tools and practices
- achieve diverse and competitive career paths
- promote industry institute interaction, entrepreneurial initiatives and R&D.
Head of Department of Electronics Engineering
B E (Electronics and Communication Engineering)
M.Tech (Digital Systems and Communication Engineering)
Ph.D (Microwave Electronics –Title of the thesis “Development and investigation of Mobile antennas for less radiation
25 years experience in taking classes and guiding projects
- Antenna & Wave propogation
- Microwave and Radar Engineering
- Analog communication Engineering
- Advanced Communication systems
- Electronic Circuits
- Analog Integrated Circuits
- D. Laila, R. Sujith, M. N. Sreejith, C. K. Aanandan, K Vasudevan and P.Mohanan “Mobile antenna with reduced radiation hazards towards human head” Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 39-46, 2010.
- Laila.D, Sujith.R, Shameena V.A,Deepak.U,Nijas.C.M and P.Mohanan”CPW fed antenna for moble handset with metal wire mesh”, Proceedings published by International Journal of Computer Applications® (IJCA), Number 1 - Article 1, pp 25-28, 2011.
- Laila.D, Sujith R, Nijas C.M, C. K Aanandan, K Vasudevan and P. Mohanan “Modified CPW fed monopole antenna with suitable radiation pattern for mobile handset” Microwave Review Journal pp 8-12 Septembar 2011.
- Laila D, Sujith R, Nijas C M, Sarin V P and P Mohanan “Compact modified printed monopole antenna for enhanced gain performance” International Journal of Applied Information Systems, Volume 1– No.5,pp 1-3 February 2012
- R. Sujith, S. Mridula, P. Binu, D. Laila, R. Dinesh and P. Mohanan, “Compact CPW-fed ground defected H-shaped slot antenna with harmonic suppression and stable radiation characteristics” Electronics letters 10th June 2010 Vol. 46 No. 12.
- R. Sujith, V. Deepu, S. Mridula, Binu Paul, D. Laila, P. Mohanan “ Compact CPW-fed uniplanar antenna for multiband wireless applications” AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 10 October 2010.
- R.Sujith, Mridula S, Laila D, C K Aanandan, K Vasudevan and P Mohanan, ” Compact CPW-Fed Slot Antenna with harmonic suppression”, International journal of RF and Microwave computer-Aided Engineering, Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 543–550, September 2011
- D.Laila,R.Sujith,V.A.Shameena,C.M.Nijas, .P.Sarin and P.Mohanan “Complementary split ring resonator based microstrip antenna for compact wireless applications” Microwave and optical technology letters Vol55 pp 814-816,2013
- Laila.D,Riny Thomas,Nijas C M,and Mohanan P “A novel Polarization Independent Chipless RFID Tag Using Multiple Resonators” Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, 2015,Vol55,pp 61-66
- Laila D, Sujith Raman, Sreejith M Nair, Aanandan C.K, Vasudevan K. and Mohanan P “Modified CPW fed monopole antenna with a radiation pattern suitable for mobile handset”, 2011 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing(ICCSP2011), Calicut, India.
- Laila.D, Sujith.R, Shameena V.A, Deepak.U, Nijas.C.M and P.Mohanan”CPW fed antenna for moble handset with metal wire mesh” ICVCI-2011,St.Gits,Kottayam.
- Sujith, Mridula S, Binu Paul, D. Laila, C.K. Aanandan, K. Vasudevan and P. Mohanan “Compact CPW-FED Defected Ground Antenna”, EUCAP2010, Barcelona,Spain 2010
- Laila D , Mohanan P “Modified CPW fed monopole antenna with reducedSAR value for mobile application, Applied Electromagnetic conference-2011 (AEMC-11), Kolkatta, India
- Laila D, Sujith R, Nijas,C M, Shameena V.A, Dinesh R, P Mohanan “A Metamaterial antenna with reduced radiation hazards towards human head”PIERS 2012 Kuala Lumpur
- Sujith.R, Laila.D, Nijas.C.M Deepak.U ,R.Dineshand P.Mohanan”CPW ” Feeding techniques to excite slot on an Open Ended coplanar waveguide transmission line” PIERS 2012 Kuala Lumpur
- Laila.D ,Riny Thomas, Nijas C M ,P Mohanan Compact Polarization Independent Chipless RFID Tag International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation APSYM 2014
- Sruthi Raj and Laila D FPGA based BCD Adder/Subtractor design using a look up table, International Conference on Science and Technology 2018 (ICST 2018)
- Sujith R, Laila D and P Mohanan “CPW fed mobile antenna with reduced RF interference towards human head” 24th kerala science congress,kottayam 2012 (Best poster award 2012)
- Vineetha,vishnu K ,Laila D. Pradeep C,V P N Nampoori”Effect of mobile phone radiation on DNA,its harmful effects and possible solution”24th kerala science congress,kottayam 2012
- Laila, P.Mohanan Antenna used for mobile handset with reduced radio frequency interference 23rd Swadeshi Science Congress November 2013(Best paper award 2013)
- D.Laila, P.Mohanan Mobile antenna operating at GSM band with less radiation towards single quadrant National Conference on Recent trends in Electronic communication and signal processing(CECASP-2013) (Best paper award 2013)
Areas of interest
- “Development of mobile antennas for less radiation hazards”
LAP LAMBERT Academic publishing ,Germany 2014
- Microwave antennas
- Mobile antennas
- RF and Microwave planar devices
- Polarization Independent Chipless RFID Tag
- Microwave photonics
Dr. Laila D
Professor & Head, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Rajesh Mohan R
Jayadas C K
Dr. Binesh T
Vinitha George E
Rashid M E
Assistant Professor (Sr Scale)
Assistant Professor (Sr Scale)
Thushara H P
Sheeba P S
Jamshi K U
Jaisy M A
Irshad Ali T K
Arun A V
Vasanth Kumar S
Mahesh B S
K V Reshmi
Nima P Dharmapal
Dhany M S
Najma P A
Ajay Nath S A
Nisha James P
Geetha K Nair
Lekshmi V R
Sujith M S
Angel Mary Ignatious
Trade Instructor Grade II
Pradeepkumar P R
Manjula P R
Dixon M A
Advanced Microprocessor Lab
- Circuits Lab
- Communication Lab
- Digital lab
- Digital Communication Lab
- E-Cad Lab
- Microprocessor Lab
- Test Lab
- VLSI Lab
Major Instruments available in the lab are Deep Word Length DSOs, PIC Development System, Programmable Power Supply,Low Distortion Signal Generator, PCB Prototype Machine, SMD Rework Station, Atmel/AVR Development System, Arbitrary Waveform Generator,Spectrum Analyser etc.DSP Trainers with Filter Design Software, Logic Analyser, Various Speed Drives both AC and DC Programmable Logic Controller , Computerised Multiprocessor Control stations, Arbitrary wave Generators, Electronic CAD Package, Digitiser, FPGA Development System with related Hardware and Software , PIC Evaluation board and Evaluation Kit , Intel 89C51 Development Systems, Microwave Bench, Fibre Optics Communication System are also available.
Besides basic equipments like the versatile CROs, High frequency signal generators, Programmable power supply, DSO etc., the labs are also facilitated with:
- Signal Explorer-Digital Oscilloscope (DL 9140L, 5Gs/GHz)
- 350 Megahertz analog CROs, 200 Mhz DSO
- Microcontroller Development System for MCS 51 family
- Microcontroller PC Based Development System for PIC Controller
- Ultra Low Distortion Audio Function Generator (SRSDS360)
- LCR Meter
- Universal Programmer (PIC burner)
- FPGA Design Tools
- Microcontroller Kit (Embedded system trainer for 8051 microcontroller)
- VLSI Design Hardware
- Optical Fibre Educational kit
- Universal Counter
- TDP TW300 LCD Projector (9 X 9 screen)
- LPKF PCB Prototyping Machine
- EDWIN Software
- Virtual Modelling Software
Mixed Signals, the Electronics Association of Model Engineering College is the joint venture of the staff and students of Electronics and Communication Department. The club aims at making the students aware of the latest cutting edge technologies.
Mixed Signals, the Electronics Association of Model Engineering College is a joint endeavour of the staffs and students of Electronics Department. With a solid vision ahead, Mixed Signals aims at organising activities that promote interest as well as spread awareness regarding the latest developments in the field of Electronics and Circuit Design, among the members, engineering students and the public.
Working steadily towards its mission, the following are some of the activities undertaken by Mixed Signals
- Organising lectures, discussions, seminars and conferences to keep students updated on the recent trends in the electronics industry.
- Holding contests and competitions to test the knowledge of the participants and instil in them the desire to know more.
- Staging exhibitions and demonstrations and conducting workshops and industrial visits to improve the practical knowledge of the budding engineers and make them industry ready.
- Conduct coaching classes for weak students in the specific areas of Electronics and Communication and other subjects on demand.
Chief Staff Advisor
Dr.Jobymol Jacob, Dept. of Electronics
- Sumesh K Sadanandan of 2014 batch was one among the finalists of the fifth edition of Nebula 2012, a national level circuit design competition conducted by Cadence.
- Three teams from the college led by Gokul Krishnan, Vimal Chacko and Paul P Vinod of the 2016 batch qualified for the quarter finals of the Texas Instruments Innovation Challenge 2015.
- Roshan Roy and Sachin Tarakan of 2008 batch bagged the second prize in IEEE National Level Project Demonstration competition for their voice controlled car, held at Hyderabad.
- John Paul Xavier of 2008 batch won the first place in the 'Design the Next Chevrolet Contest' held by General Motors India.
- Messrs. Balasubrahmanyam S, Aravind Krishnan and Sreekanth S of 2006 batch were a part of the nVIDIA team that launched the nVIDIA GeForce 9400 Graphics Processing Unit.
- Prof. T K Mani, Head of the Dept., Electronics and Engg., won the first prize in the design contest organised by MicroChip, USA in 2004. He has also presented a research paper in the 47th meeting of Acoustical Society of America. He is also the recipient of Sir C V Raman Award in 2002 for his paper "The Acoustic of Raindrop Impact".
- Vinitha Suresh of 1993 Batch won the Innovator Asia Award from EDN Asia Magazine.
- Niyaz K Zubair of 2005 Batch is a recipient of special KVPY Award from IISc Bangalore.
- Alphus Pathrose of 1997 Batch reached the final round of BBC Master Mind India Quiz
- Joseph Alphonse Mathew of 2006 batch was part of the team that came first in Maverick, an All India Deloitte event, in October 2010.
- Bibin George of 1995 batch is the co-inventor of the US patent 7,177,349 for High Impedance State for Digital Subscriber Line Transceivers on Twisted Copper Pairs.
- MEC students Harisankar A, Jaison Varghese, Raveendra Pai G came up with first place in the i-Talent all India level project presentation contest. iTalent is an event conducted by CII (Confederation Of Indian Industries).
- Deepak Dutt, of 1998 Batch, has won the "Quality Award of Excellence" from Nortel Networks
Workshop by Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune
Dept. of Electronics, Govt. Model Engineering College, Ernakulum and Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune, have jointly conducted a
three day workshop on the topic “NEW AVENUES Of INTERFACE BETWEEN ASTRONOMY AND ENGINEERING” on 4th , 5th & 6th January 2018 at Model Engineering College(MEC)
Campus. The workshop was inaugurated by renowned scientist Dr. A N Ramaprakash and the function presided over by the Principal Dr. V P Devassia. In such a joint
collaboration for first time in India, eminent resource persons in the field of astronomy and astrophysics like Dr. Jayant Murthy, Dr. Padmakar Parihar
(Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore ), Dr. Chandrakanth Misra (IIT Madras), Dr. Mudit Kumar Srivastava (PRL, Ahmadabad ), Dr.Ninan Sajeeth Philip
(St.Thomas College, Kozhencherry), Dr. K Indulekha(MG University), Mr.Sidharth Maharana, Mr.Nikhil Mukund, Mr.Ruchika Seth, Mr.Sabyasaachi Chattopadhyay,
Mr.Avinash Surendran & Mr.Bhooshan Gadre.(IUCAA, Pune) have presented sessions in the field of Astronomy and Engineering. The topics covered highly relevant
realms like Black holes, Neutrons stars, Space instrumentation, Modern optical telescopes with engineering perspectives, Square Kilometer Array(SKA) and
Machine learning tools in astronomy etc. Engineering teachers, M-Tech students and Research Scholars from different institutions have actively participated
in the three day workshop.